Thursday, January 26, 2012

Why the morning workout?!?

So last week my 6 am class at Core Fitness got moved to 530 am. It was already hard enough to chase children on scooters after a Train Like Jane class, but add another 30 min sleep deficit and I didn't know how I was going to deal with my 530 pm patient. Apparently the class was moved 30 min earlier due to more it allowing women enough time to primp and prime before work. I figured if people were willing to get up at 430-5 am to work out before work then there must be some kind of huge benefit. So my research began....
I started working out in the morning because I dont get off of work until 630-7 pm most days. By the time I leave the gym its 830 pm and I still have to go home to shower and cook dinner and be at work by 8 am the next day. I was not able to fall asleep until after midnight when I worked out after work which would leave me tired and crashing on caffeine the next day while eating massive loads of foods to stay awake. This was happening because as we exercise we raise our body temperature. As the temperature is raised our blood is pumping at mire vigorous rates leading to a reeved up metabolism. This was causing me to eat huge meals at 9 pm and I was going to bed afterwards thus not giving my body a chance to burn those calories. When our body temperature is raised it takes time to return to a resting state. Thus the reason why I couldnt fall alseep was because my body was still in exercise mode. Lack of sleep is huge when you are considering weight loss. If you are more sleep deprived certain hormone levels that control appetite are influenced. This can cause you to eat more so you have to weigh the benefits; lose sleep at night or in the morning.
Some of the suspected benefits of morning exercise is that its a great time to integrate a habit into your life. Every morning most of us drink coffee, brush our teeth, make our bed, etc. We do this in the mornings because we want to get them done before the business of the day catches up to us. Morning exercise can be added to that routine in order to initiate as a habit. And making exercise a habit will lead to even greater benefits!
Besides the creation of a habit morning exercise is said to provide you with extra energy to initiate your day. For the AM work-outers you've been up longer and your metabolism is going and your body temperature is raised. Since you've already expended calories to raise your body temperature you can better focus your energy on your work and you interactions with other individuals. There have been many studies comparing exercise groups to sedentary groups. The exercise groups consistently report increased energy with decreased fatigue. So why not give it a try? The only thing you have to lose is annoying your co-workers with your newly found increase 8 am energy.

1 comment: