Thursday, February 2, 2012

Don't be afraid to be the only white girl...

Today's blog was inspired by an impromptu workout. I had my last patient cancel early and I realized I'd be able to make a 6 pm workout class at LA Fitness: 6 Corners. The workout class was Zumba. I've been an observer of the tail-end of this Zumba class many times before. I've noticed everyone in that class seems to be of Latin descent and knows how to shake what their Mama gave them. Me being a white Jewish girl, I have no idea how to shake what my mother gave me. Now I'd consider myself a stronger individual, but my kinesthetic (where your body is in relation to space) awareness got lost somewhere...


Zumba is an aerobic workout. It combines Latin dance with easy to follow dance moves. Classes typically alternate between fast and slow rhythms in order to challenge your cardiovascular system. Typically Zumba uses 4-5 choreographed steps that you repeat for one song. Then as the class goes on you learn new songs and new uncomplicated steps. Each song lasts about 5 min and each song has a different pace. The 60 min of  Zumba class flies by as everyone cheers when their jam comes on. It's a great way to keep your heart pumping  and burn somewhere between 400-600 calories. WedMD reports that some of the benefits of Zumba can include calorie burn, increased aerobic threshold, more stamina, increased bone density, improved balance and muscle tone, less body fat, and lower blood pressure.
An hour after beginning class I realized that I was standing in a puddle of sweat and smiling ear to ear. I definitely felt my heart pounding during the whole class. I additionally would like to recommend Zumba because tomorrow is Wear Red Day. Wearing red tomorrow will  show your commitment to increasing awareness about heart disease among women and helping women take steps to reduce their own personal risk of developing heart disease. Zumba is a great  way to take a step to reduce your risk. The class is created to be intervals of intensity in the pace of music and type of movements. Your energy is expended and you maximize  your benefits for fat-burning. Zumba helps  loosen up your upper body by head and shoulder rolls. The Latin dance footwork can strengthens and stretches calves and ankles while help with balance. Even the danger zones: hips and abs, receive particular attention in the Latin dance style, because of all butt shaking. So dont be scared to try it! Check out the Zumba class nearest you! And if a Jewish white girl can do it, anyone can and it is tons of fun :)

  • Sarnataro, B.S. Zumba: Fun Is Secret Ingredient of Latin Dance Workout. WebMD Health and Fitness.  November 12, 2010. Available at  http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/zumba-fun-is-secret-ingredient-of-latin-dance-workout
  • Watson, F. Zumba workout benefits. Livestrong.com: The limitless potential of you. April 26, 2011.  Available at http://www.livestrong.com/article/68324-zumba-workout-benefits/
  •  Laskowski, E.R. What is Zumba? MayoClinic: Fitness. Jan. 15, 2011. Available at http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/zumba/AN02130.

No comments:

Post a Comment